Sunday, June 24, 2012

Geeky Sports!

Well my oldest son (he is ten) will be testing for his black belt in the Korean martial art of Tang Soo Do this year! We are all so excited for him but better yet we know how much work and time he has put into it since we decided it would be a good activity to do all together as a family. I thought, why just sit on my butt and watch while I could be out there with him, really tasting the journey.



Being the only mother of small children to start on this journey has been challenging to say the least. At first I kept wondering what I was doing there, feeling foolish and even a little (okay a lot) embarrassed most of the time. Guess what though? I survived and when you have a five year old correcting you......well, a little humility never hurt anyone. Now both my husband and I are red belts and loving every minute of it!


I cannot lie, our child had some (many) tough moments too. Some where he did not want to go anymore, was tired and sick of it, just as most of the other kids. As parents though we thought that we would only be teaching him that it is okay to quit when things get hard, when most do quit. At some point EVERYTHING gets hard and boring, whether it is soccer, piano or martial arts. Not that we do not let him try other things, but this one thing he had to stick to, whatever it took.

Sure enough now, our son will be the first child to receive a black belt at our Dojan. As parents never once have we had the thought that we were wrong on this one. Nothing have we ever been so sure of....




No comments:

Post a Comment